All you need to know before your next free range hunting trip to South Africa.
You need no more than 3 complete sets of hunting clothes. You can usually get by with two pants and 3 x shirts, socks and underwear. Laundry is done daily.
South Africa has a wonderful climate. The season runs from March until December. Fall and spring will be warm (March, April, May, October, November) with early morning temperatures of about 55 warming up to 85/95 during the middle of the day. Winter months will be cooler (June, July, August, September) with early morning temperatures of 40 and warming up to 70/75.
Layered clothing is always a good idea as the mornings and evenings can be cool while the middle of the day gets warm.
- Fleece vest or sweater (make sure its warm for winter months)
- Sleeping lounging around camp attire
- Casual shoes
- 3 complete sets of hunting clothes (Underwear, socks, pants, shirts, t-shirts)
- Passport (must have at least 4 blank pages)
- Prescription or other medications
- US to RSA plug-in adaptor (available at all airports)
- Shooting sticks (We have sticks but if you would prefer the sticks you have practised on and are comfortable with then bring yours. Put in your gun bag)
We suggest using Steve Turner from Travel With Guns. Steve is based in San Antonio and has booked flights for Crusader Safaris clients for many years. He is experienced in African travel and travelling with firearms.
Phone: +210 8589833 or +210 3264453
You may also book your own flights through your travel agents or online.
PLEASE NOTE: The only local South African airline registered to carry firearms is South African Airways
When travelling with firearms it is advisable to use the service of an agent in Johannesburg. We suggest Henry Durheim.
Henry charges $120 per rifle and will pre-register the firearms, meet you on arrival, take you through customs and make sure you catch your connecting flight. If you use Henry he will supply the letter of invitation that is needed.
Henry will need to be contacted at least a month prior to arrival.
On request, Henry can meet you on departure but this is not necessary.
Option two is to complete the firearm paperwork yourself. In this case, I will email you the letter of invitation. Other documents needed are:
- Letter of invitation
- Proof of ownership US customs form #4457
- SAP 520
- Return airline ticket
You are allowed a max of 200 rounds of ammo per rifle.
Only ammo for the rifle you bring into the country will be permitted.
- Two rifles per gun case
- Four firearms per hunter
- Rimfire rifles need to be pre-registered with SAPS (two months before arrival)
Crusader Safaris has a number of very good rifles for rent, all have Swarovski scopes. If you are not bringing a firearm you can fly on any airline and do not need a letter of invitation.
Travelling with children under 18
Anyone travelling to South Africa with children under the age of 18 needs to be aware of the following:
- If both parents are travelling then you will need a copy of the child’s birth certificate with both parent’s names listed.
- If only one parent is travelling then you will need a signed affidavit with copies of both parent’s passports and the child’s birth certificate.
Please visit https://za.usembassy.gov/m_16042015/ for more details.
Medication & Immunizations
You will be hunting in a malaria free area and malaria medication is NOT required. I would recommend you update your tetanus inoculation if necessary and any other routine vaccinations you may need. The Baviaansriver , Stormberg and Umkomaas are all malaria-free areas. There is no malaria within 400 miles of these areas.
If hunting the Balule for Buffalo malaria medication is suggested. This is in the far north of the country and is a marginal malaria area. Consult your doctor on what is best available in the US.
Camo clothing is permitted in South Africa. Earthtone clothing works really well (grassland, brown, green, khaki).
The terrain will range from tree-covered slopes, flat grasslands, steep rocky terrain to wooded river bottoms. Rugged boots are recommended. Elevations will be from 1800ft in the Umkomaas to 5000ft in the Stormberg mountains . Depending on the area you're hunting, the terrain and altitude will differ substantially.